2005 Feb 11
Takoyaki Videos
Posted at 10:28 am by Barron | Eating

A while ago, our man in Osaka sent some super-secret videos of some takoyaki-making. I have decided to release them to the public. Press release to follow...

Seriously, my friend Matt shot some footage of a cook at a takoyaki stall in Osaka. Here you can see the skill required to make these delectable little snacks. Actually, their size is deceptive: they fill you up quite quickly. If you have never tried takoyaki before, you are really missing out. Maybe I can coax Mariko into breaking out the takoyaki pan this weekend... Anyways, without further ado, I present the five sacred videos (.avi format):

Takoyaki part one (7.8MB) Putting the pieces of tako (octopus) into the batter.

Takoyaki part two (2.8MB) Putting ten-kasu (tempura crumbs) into the takoyaki.

Takoyaki part three (8.4MB) Packing some of the finished takoyaki into containers/Turning the takoyaki over to ensure even cooking. (the difficult part, in my opinion) .

Takoyaki part four (7.9 MB) More turning of the takoyaki.

Takoyaki part five (3.9MB) And even more turning of the takoyaki. If you're not salivating by the time you reach this video, please check your pulse.

[videos © Copyright 2004 Matt Melton]

Comments...

Sluggo: Now you've done it, Barron... I think I may have to break out my takoyaki pan this weekend and make some.

Have you ever seen *vibrating* takoyaki molds? At this place in NYC, a flip of a switch would start the whole thing vibrating, making the takoyaki-turning much easier I 'spose. But I still prefer mine out of old-fashioned, hand-turned, gas-fired pans!

Jeez, now I'm hungry...

Posted on Feb 12, 2005 | 1:03 am

lord aDam: Was the takoyaki place near St. Marks Place in the East Village?? That was the first place I ever had takoyaki.

Once I found out how great takoyaki is, I had to find out how to make it. That's how I found this site. I actually made takoyaki for our 2003 office Christmas party and won the prize for best dish!

Posted on Feb 14, 2005 | 8:44 am

Nala: I love those videos.

Unfortunately, I can't find any place here in the Cowlands that makes takoyaki.

I must try these!!!

Posted on Feb 17, 2005 | 2:57 pm

sammee: OMG - i'm craving em! had some really good one a few months back in nyc. -- where can i get the pan though (T_T) ??? ahhh i luv em soo much!

Posted on Jun 10, 2005 | 10:27 am

aiai: hi, do you have a recipe for Takoyaki sauce anywhere in this site? if not, where can I get one. I want to make one not buy commercial ones.

thanks!

Posted on Aug 27, 2005 | 1:26 pm

Jojo Chico: hello friend,
Pls advise where I can buy the takoyaki pan in the pics because the teflon type is very expensive.Wud u know the model and the source tnx!

Posted on Sep 09, 2005 | 6:46 am

Ghostcat: Thank you so much for the recipes and the vidéos!!
My friends just offered me a takoyaki griddle for home cooking and thanks to your recipes and vidéos I'm sure my takoyakis will be good ^__^

Posted on Nov 29, 2005 | 5:11 pm

Takeshi: Matt san, you disappoint me sharing the secret art of takoyaki with the western world. If I was pleasent whist you were firming the art of takoyaki I would have taken it upon myself to behead you with vengeance! But I must admit that your takoyaki firming skills are quite good.

Posted on Dec 16, 2005 | 7:41 am

Jessica: Hi, I just recently got a takoyaki maker for Christmas from a friend and am looking forward to using it. My only problem is that all of the instructions are in Japanese. I have a metal mold (with little octopus shapes in it) a stick thing (I'm sorry... I have no idea what it would be called) and some type of brush thing. I was wondering if you knew anyway I could find out how to use it. I've been looking on the Internet, but I'm not finding much to help me.
~Jessica

Posted on Jan 11, 2006 | 9:08 pm

Barron: The stick thing is used to turn the takoyaki as it cooks, so that it will cook on all sides. The brush is used to oil the pan.

Posted on Jan 18, 2006 | 9:11 am

tako: hi. where can i get a takoyaki pan in the NYC area? please help.

Posted on Jan 19, 2006 | 10:24 am

dhana: need help. i really love takoyaki and i started to learn how to make it. my only problem is how to make a takoyaki sauce. do you have a recipe for Takoyaki sauce anywhere in this site? if not, where can I get one. I want to make one not buy commercial ones.

Posted on Mar 06, 2006 | 7:56 pm

javid: hi im wondering if there are any takoyaki makers available in the US. Where can i get one?

:D

Posted on Mar 08, 2006 | 3:53 pm

Lindsey: For everyone looking for Takoyaki pans and the tonkatsu sauce you can find it at www.jbox.com The pan is $16 and the sauce is about $2. Shipping will be the kicker but its not too crazy.

Posted on Mar 13, 2006 | 7:12 am

Barron: Thanks for the info Lindsey!

Posted on Mar 13, 2006 | 8:18 am

niki: i dont know how to make takoyaki
but can someone tell me where i can buy soem in london?
onegaiii!

Posted on May 30, 2006 | 2:35 pm

ranz: Hi guys, im from the philippines and im wondring if anyone of u here know wer can i find that takoyaki griddle here and sauce recipes pls... ty

Posted on Jul 03, 2006 | 2:03 am

choo: May I know whereabout can I buy the electrical takoyaki grills from?

Posted on Jul 05, 2006 | 11:23 am

Mare: I saw an electric one on eBay. It was kinda pricey with the shipping, but it makes 16 balls in one batch. I love takoyaki! We have a great izakaya here in Vancouver and they make them SO good! Now, I'm desperately looking for a takoyaki plate! I can only find octopus shaped molds and not the round ones. Any suggestions?

Posted on Jul 09, 2006 | 11:00 am

Barron: Hey everyone! I opened a Takoyaki Forum a little while back. If you have any questions, try posting there. I am hoping we can get lots more people going there and contributing so we can have a healthy Takoyaki community. :)

It's http://forums.takoyaki.org

Blog Flux MapStats: Stats and Counter for Takoyaki.org
image
Get Firefox
Get Thunderbird

About Me
Click the pic!

Illustration of me as Afro-ken, by Mariko.

My Amazon.com Wish List